(above) A set of beer taps at Lalla Rookh, Perth CBD
In August I wrote a blog post called ‘A few words on beer lists’ and it was one of my most popular posts for the year. It seems I am not the only one who feels beer lists are often the forgotten lost souls of a venue, doomed to a life of neglect and boredom.
Inspired by the interest from that blog post and just for some fun, I have decided to indulge in a little make-believe and pretend I have a bar. I’m going to pretend that this bar has six taps and not a huge amount of fridge space so just enough for five packaged beers too. As you’d expect, my beer list will change every couple of months.
A few notes things I will consider for my beer lists –
- Availability – I will try to only list beers that are available here in Perth
- Price – Whilst I don’t know the cost of goods on all beers, nor am I inclined to go and get them for a make-believe bar, I can have an educated guess so I will try to have a good spread of beers across a reasonable price.
- My employer – Initially I was going to exclude anything from Nail Brewing but, as this blog will show, I have always loved the beers from Nail so I will not actively exclude the beers from my lists.
Ok, so here’s what my make-believe bar will be serving for the next couple of months and a brief reason why I picked each beer.
a beer list as we come into summer
- Colonial Small Ale | One of my absolute favourite low ABV beers
- Eagle Bay Kolsch | An easy drinking, approachable, well made beer
- Mash Copy Cat | Something for the hop heads and beer geeks, you gotta have a big pale ale on tap
- Nail Red Ale | Something a bit ballsy but not too over the top
- Last Drop Hefeweizen | Wheat beers can be one of those “love them or hate them” styles but I love them and this is one of the best Hefes going around
- Cowaramup Pilsner | A fantastic pilsner and not often seen on tap
IN THE FRIDGE
- Gage Roads Single Fin | Staying local and I like the new(ish) branding
- La Sirene Saison | Love all their beers and you just have to throw a saison in there, right?!
- Bootleg Raging Bull | Just one dark beer for a summer list and this is a cracker
- Pirate Life Pale Ale | Believe the hype, this beer is just so damn good and I don’t mind having a big hoppy beer on tap as well as this given how popular American style pale ales are.
- 4 Pines ESB | Something malt driven and delicious